We’ve all heard it said that “Knowledge is Power”. In light of the Canine Influenza outbreak in some parts of the United States, I wholeheartedly agree, and it’s time to fight back!
As a conscientious dog owner, and a participant in dog shows, I thought it would be vital to understand what the dog world is facing. So I’ve gathered as much information on the topic as I could find in order to learn about the symptoms, treatment, and most importantly PREVENTION! For those who travel and compete in dog sports, or who work in places where dogs frequent, you’ll especially want to stay vigilant!
Included below are useful links with articles from the AKC, the AVMA, and Dr. Jean Dodds’ Pet Health Blog, as well as information on disinfectants and the use of Probiotics shared by the Revival Animal Health Educational Team. I hope the information will help to calm our fears and offer guidance and HOPE.
“Canine influenza (CI), or dog flu, is a highly contagious infection caused by an influenza A virus. The causative canine influenza virus (CIV) strains have been classified as H3N8 and H3N2 . . .”(AVMA). Follow these links to learn more about the symptoms, treatments, prevention, disinfectants, and probiotics.
FOR DOG SHOW EXHIBITORS and anyone involved in Canine Sports—From The American Kennel Club
- Canine Influenza Virus Notice—Dr. Jerry Klein, Chief Veterinary Officer of AKC | May 31, 2017— (“Dr. Jerry Klein is a veterinarian in the emergency room at Chicago’s largest veterinary emergency and specialty center. He was personally involved in treating hundreds of dogs sickened by the H3N2 virus during its initial outbreak in Chicago in spring of 2015.”)
- The Dog Show Circuit and Canine Influenza- My Story by Richard Hawkes DVM
More Useful Links
- Canine Influenza—Important information from the AVMA
- Excellent Article from Dr. Jean Dodds’ Pet Health Resource Blog—Virus updates, statistical perspective, developing symptoms, dealing with an outbreak, vaccines
- Canine Influenza—H3N8 Virus
- Canine Flu—Symptoms, Treatment, Prevention
- Disinfectants—Choose Wisely!
- Disinfectants from Revival Animal Health
- If you know of other useful links please share in the comments below. Thank you.
A quick word about Probiotics—
“In addition to vaccinating, a probiotic like GI Synbiotics or D.E.S Health-Gard will help prevent the flu. A probiotic will help by outcompeting any bad bacteria or viruses that are ingested and prevent them from causing disease. It also helps boost the immune system and maintain overall health.” (Revival Health Education Team)
I personally use Health-Gard. It’s added to my dogs water daily, especially when I am actively showing my dogs. I do not receive any monetary compensation by promoting it. I just hope and pray it can help in preventing the spread of dog illness.
For more information about the use of Probiotics following these links
- Probiotics for Dogs: What they are and how they can help
- Probiotics for Dogs: What you need to know
- The Benefits of Probiotics for your Dog
One last word dear friends—stay calm and pray . . .
Dear Heavenly Father,
We come before Your throne of grace for mercy and help in our time of need. We lift up to You our beloved dogs. Please protect them from all the terrible illnesses that plague the earth, and grant us the wisdom, knowledge, and power to keep them from harm. And for those dogs who are suffering, please guide the hands of their care takers, and heal. Comfort their owners as well, and fill them with an unwavering trust in Your Sovereign Hand, even when they don’t understand. Thank you for our dogs, and thank you for the unconditional love You show us through their healing paws!
In Your Mighty Name we pray, Amen
Blessings to you and your canine companions,
I am not a doctor or a vet. The Information on this blog is for educational purposes only and is not intended to replace the advice of your doctor or veterinarian.
Visit Leila’s Amazon’s Author Central
Visit Sunnyville Publishing to learn more about these books