This page is dedicated to sharing the books that fill our hearts with hope, healing, comfort, and humor while celebrating the magic and wonder of one of God’s most amazing creations and companion animals— DOGS.
As a young girl in grade school, I recall the very first book that whet my appetite for reading — The Black Stallion, by Walter Farley. Soon after I discovered Lassie Come Home, and numerous other heart warming tales about dogs. Stories about animals seem to have a particular tug on the heart. I find this especially true about stories featuring dogs. Their tales of heroism, rescue, and unconditional love evoke empathy as well as helping us to grapple with some uncomfortable life issues.
Some of these books mentioned below are timeless classics that you’ll easily recognize, and others are tiny treasures, less known but also recommended for their ability to inspire. Some I’ve read, others are on my “must read” book list. May you find comfort and encouragement within each tale as you read about Man’s Best Friend!
- Marley and Me, by John Grogan — #1 New York Times Best Seller depicting life and love with the world’s worst dog.
- A Dog’s Purpose, by W. Bruce Cameron
- Dog Heaven, by Cynthia Rylant — A picture book. A comforting read for those experiencing the loss of a pet.
- Old Yeller, by Fred Gibson — A Timeless Classic
- Where the Red Fern Grows, by Wilson Rawls — A heartwarming tale of adventure and friendship you’ll never forget.
- Because of Winn-Dixie, by Kate Dicamillis — Received the Newberry Honor in 2001 for this funny and heartwarming tale.
- Lassie Come Home, by Eric Knight — A Classic Tale of Lassie, heroine of one of the most faithful dog stories ever told.
- The Call of the Wild, by Jack London —1903 Classic. A Must-read.
- The Incredible Journey, by Sheila Burnford —Inspired by a real-life incident. The story of three house pets who venture out across a wilderness in search of the family they love.
- The Art of Racing in the Rain, by Garth Stein — Appears on many “best of” lists. The book, narrarated by Enzo, a lab/terrier mix, provides a unique perspective on human life.
DEVOTIONAL TYPE DOG BOOKS
- Dog’s and Devotion, A Celebration of the Bond Between Dogs and Their People, by The Monks of New Skete
- Pawz and Pray, Short Reflections about God, Life, and the Dogs I Love! by Leila Grandemange
I look forward to reading your suggestions for inspirational dog books that have touched your heart. Feel free to leave a comment. Thank you.
Guidelines for Republishing
All personal writing, photography and video on PawzandPray.com is the property of the author and may not be reproduced without using these GUIDELINES. Thank you. © Leila Grandemange
4 thoughts on “Recommended Reading for Dog Lovers”
I read Lassie Come Home to Michael a few months ago and we really liked it.
That’s so neat Jill! Great choice for them. Thanks for sharing 🙂
Another wonderful book about a dog that will inspire you. The title is Oogy by Larry Levine. I have read several times and given the book to dog lovers. As a child one of my favorite books was titled Beautiful Joe written by Marshall Saunders. Anyone who loves dog would enjoy these books !!!!!
Thank you so much Pam for sharing these books! I will look forward to reading them … I think children benefit so much from these sweet stories. Thank you again 🙂